Updated: Nov 6, 2019
At least in Scandinavia fall and winter is dark, long and honestly quite brutal. What is more comforting on a "stoppig by the woods on a snowy evening"- kinda winters eve than a hearty and warming casserole with beef, carrots and mushrooms?
Enjoy this traditional Swedish ”Kalops” with boiled potatoes and pickled, sliced red beetrot.
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT: 1. Cut about 1000 grams of beef, prime rib, into cubes. 2. Fry the meat lightly in hot butter and oil in a large saucepan. 3. Add two onions, peeled and cut into quarters.
4. Add peeled and sliced carrots, 3-4 of them.
5. After 5 minutes, add 2 table spoons of flour. Mix thoroughly.
6. Add 4 cups of water, 1 cup of wine, 3 bayleafes, 6 allspice peppercorns and 6 white peppercorns. Add some salt and black pepper.
7. Let come to a boil then lower the temp and simmer for 2,5 hours under lid. Stir a few times. Read a book or drink some tea.
8. Add 1 cup of half and half, 1 can of muschrooms and 2 tea spoons of soy sauce.